Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:39:09 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        robert smith <psyfybre@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation problem

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:24:47PM +0100, robert smith wrote:
> hello, allow me to introduce myself.
>
> i regard myself to be a well experienced computer user using many platforms.
>
> yet, when i tried to install freebsd, i found that i cannot, since just past the setupx configuration, the cpu halts. or gets stuck in a cyclic loop, where i am unable to do anything, and the monitor seems to get itself into an unreachable mode, this is just after the x-setup, so when the computer goes back to the installation menus, but i dont get a chance to see any of them.

My experience in installing FreeBSD:

- Do a minimal install first, and reboot the machine.  Make sure
  you use the 'Options' menu to set debugging to 'yes'.

  This will assure:

  - that your installation media is OK.
  - that you don't have a messed up partition table, or an unbootable
    partition.
  - that core hardware (memeory, CPU. hard drive, etc.) works
    adequately.  (memory failures can be a bit magical.)

- Even better, do said minimal install via a serial port, from
  another machine running 'script'.  This give a recorded log of
  your installation process, as well as any messages generated
  during the reboot.

Everything after this point is stuff to be added on, and likely
should be done in stages.  (Setting a root password, installing
packages/distributions/etc.)

I've personally never tried to set up X from FreeBSD's installation
disks.  They just invoke utilities that come with the X distribution.

Feel free to use the install disks to install the X distribution,
but use the command-line tools to configure X.  That way, you can
use the man pages for the utilities to see what they are doing, and
how they report errors.

BTW - I suspect this should have gone to -questions...

Good luck...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842