Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:38:45 -0700
From:      James Gritton <jamie@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alexus <alexus@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: security.jail.param.allow.socket_af=1

On 2/16/2014 2:15 PM, alexus wrote:
> I'm trying to change following and for whatever reason it won't allow me to
> do so:
>
> root@fx:~ # sysctl security.jail.param.allow.socket_af=1
> security.jail.param.allow.socket_af: 0 -> 0
> root@fx:~ #
>
> any ideas?
> Thanks!

The security.jail.param.* sysctls are informational only - and the
only information they provide is the names and types of the jail
parameters (which is used by jail(8)).  Instead of trying to set the
sysctl as some sort of global value, you want to instead set the
parameter itself.  Whether inside a jail definition, or perhaps as a
global outside of any jail definitions, you should include:

allow.socket_af;

in /etc/jail.conf.  See jail(8) and jail.conf(5) for the background on this.

- Jamie