Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:43:04 -0700
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem working, now getting ppp setup

On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 11:18:52AM -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> I was a bit confused as to the CHAP and PAP, I normally just use plain
> text, and Solaris allows me to enter prompts and responses in the uucp
> for the System it is calling (is that CHAP???)

The PPP protocol contains two types of authentication.  PAP is similar
to providing a login name and password, CHAP never sends the secret
across the connection.  If your phone may be tapped (or the connection
between you and your modem), CHAP is more secure.  In both cases, you
have a ``login name'' and a shared secret (password).  You can provide
this info as a part of the config file for PPP.

However, you may need to do nothing at all with these, as the place you
dial into may have you log in first, then start up PPP.  In this case,
no (PPP) authentication is done.

If you can get the connection to start manually, then what you really
need to be doing is creating chat strings (similar to the UUCP chat you
described).

Kenneth