Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:18:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        naddy@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   depending on the shared libraries (was Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/libxine Makefile)

>   Log:
>   Bump Ogg Vorbis library versions.

I keep  wondering, and keep asking  this question, but noone  feels like
answering. Most of the ports don't  care for the exact version number of
the library they  depend on. Be that jpeg.7 or  jpeg.8, foo.N or foo.N+1
or foo.N-1.  However, the  committers seem  to religiously  maintain the
numbers  and  every time  a  library-installing  port (like  vorbis)  is
updated, the update is followed by  a flurry of the commits updating the
dependent ports.

What's wrong with the following depends line:

	-LIB_DEPENDS+=  vorbis.1:${PORTSDIR}/audio/libvorbis
	+LIB_DEPENDS+=  vorbis:${PORTSDIR}/audio/libvorbis

? (I don't mean to single libxine and vorbis out, it is just the latest
example).

Granted, sometimes  a particular feature  of a library is  important and
requiring the exact version number makes sense, but that's so rarely the
case -- libxine worked fine with vorbis.0 and will continue working with
.1 and probably .2...

As a  result, any time  I go to rebuild,  say, ImageMagick, I  notice it
attempts to rebuild png, even though IM works just fine with the version
of png I already have...

Note, the porter's handbook does not require the version number -- it is
just the only example given :-)

http://FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/x599.html#AEN602

	-mi