Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 12:45:28 +0000
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Object Domain 2.0 and jdk1.1.7 under FreeBSD-current

I used to test the alpha and beta versions of ObjectDomain and my findings are
broadly similar. The one operating system it performed well on was Windoze
(only when run from the JRE, not from the JDK). On all kinds of UNIX it
seems to be very slow. On the heaviest iron I could lay my hands on, a
digital Alpha Server (433? 500?) with the optimized digital JDK (fastest I've
Java ever seen) it was barely usable when X'ed across to my Sparc 5/85. And
I was only user at the time of test.
On anything Sun-ny performance was even worse although I was running the
Solaris JDK, not the reference implementation. But then my Sun was slow...

So I think that what you're seeing is pretty normal...

Timo