Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:38:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm setup for dummies?

Hello,
I have been struggling with setting up an X host and X terminals for a few
weeks now. I figure it's time to stop and ask for directions :)

I have a FBSD 4.7R server which I intend to host X sessions from. It has
the libraries for Xfree86 4.2.0 and runs icewm. (X does work, but isn't
normally running given it's headless most of the time) The terminals are
also running 4.7R, but use Xfree86 3.3.6 due to limited RAM. I
have manually started icewm and redirected it to the terminals
successfully - which works great until the terminals are powered down.
Currently, I start xinit at boot, which sorta works but I still have to
ssh into the server and redirect the DISPLAY. It's also kind of ugly :)

I would like to simply boot the X terminals, and have them immediately
start xdm and display a login to the server. I don't want anyone to be
able to log into the terminal locally, and there is only one server - so
I don't need a chooser.

So far, I have modified the Xsessions to exec icewm. I have added all of
the hosts to the Xaccess file (though I understand this shouldn't be
necessary in a XDMCP broadcast environment), and written a startup script
to launch xdm.

Another snag is that the terminals use DHCP. I would almost prefer that
the X terminals "look for" the server, rather than the server broadcast.
The server has a static IP, so I wouldn't mind hard coding this into their
configurations.

Ironically, the xdm broadcast does appear to be working somewhat - I have
a linux system in the Xaccess list which shows a login prompt... On top of
the current WM! (I just minimize it)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Seth Henry