Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:32:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mauritz Sundell <mauritz.sundell@home.se>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI/PCI-bus issue with compaq evo n160

On 18-Dec-2003 Mauritz Sundell wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, John Baldwin wrote:
>

>> On 17-Dec-2003 Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
>> > The solution suggested by Mauritz worked, the ACPI stuff works now.
>> > This is what I have in my loader.conf
>> >
>> > debug.acpi.disable="lid pci_link"
>> > hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
>> > hw.cbb.start_memory="536870912"
>>
>> What if you remove the debug.acpi.disable line?
>>
>> Btw, you can disable the lid suspending stuff by using
>>
>> sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE
>>
>> without having to disable the lid in debug.acpi.disable.
>>
> It is to late to disable the lid after init have started.
> If I close the lid during the kernel boot it goes to an
> hanging sleep.
>
> The reason I may close the lid during boot is that when I
> am at work I usally plug in my personal Compaq Evo to the
> ethernet, starting it and closes the lid.
>
> But nowadays when I most of the time use the suspend to disk
> feature this is not an issue. But sometimes I want to do
> an reboot and close the lid.
>
> I have tried to set
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state="S0"
> in device.hints and loader.conf but it does not work
> (not with ="NONE" either)

You would need to set it in /etc/sysctl.conf.  Alternatively,
could add code to parse the loader versions to the code in acpi.c
that sets the initial values:

    sc->acpi_power_button_sx = ACPI_POWER_BUTTON_DEFAULT_SX;
    sc->acpi_sleep_button_sx = ACPI_SLEEP_BUTTON_DEFAULT_SX;
    sc->acpi_lid_switch_sx = ACPI_LID_SWITCH_DEFAULT_SX;
    sc->acpi_standby_sx = ACPI_STATE_S1;
    sc->acpi_suspend_sx = ACPI_STATE_S3;

Also, you could patch acpivar.h locally to set ACPI_LID_SWITCH_DEFAULT_SX
to ACPI_S5 + 1.