Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:09:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   audio players distortions bug resolved...

    A couple evenings ago I asked this list about RealPlayer distortions
    while listening to NPR archives.  Nobody had a real solution, but I've
    finally come up with a solution for my system.

    After a couple hours of poking around, I found that the new  or
    featured NPR audio files played well, tho not perfectly.  I finally
    found that this advice from one of the broadcast websites did the
    trick; cleared up the 'stuttery' sound:

    Why does my audio sound too fast,
    too slow, scratchy, or distorted?
    If the audio sounds too fast, too slow,
    too scratchy, or distorted, try changing
    the Performance settings in your
    Player.

    Real Player:

    1.Select Preferences from the View
       menu.
    2.Click the Performance tab.
    3.Click the Settings button under
       Sound Card Compatibility.
    4.Click either Disable 16-bit Sound
       or Disable Custom Sampling
       Rates to modify the way your
       player and sound card interface.

    Hope this works for anyone else who may have this kind of problem...

    gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix