Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 1997 10:52:13 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "John D. Smerdon" <jds@smerdon.livonia.mi.us>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat II SMP video problems

Hi,

>I tried rebuilding kernels several times with no luck.  I then compiled a
>kernel without APIC_IO and the system booted without any problems.

did you also have:

options		SMP_INVLTLB

set when using APIC_IO?  this is MANDATORY (but ONLY with APIC_IO).

---
>Entering `sysctl -w smp_active=2` worked, but entering `ps aux` causes panic:
>
><...>
>current process = 5 (cpuidle0)
>trapnumber = 29
>panic (cpu#0) Unknown/Reserved Trap

this smells like hardware to me.  I believe this board is the one that had
a problem with its cache module.  The solution (if your board is indeed
affected) is to replace the cache module with a "good" one.  whether that
means "any new one" or a specific model made by tyan to fix the problem I
have no idea.  You will have to turn to the tyan mail list (or tyan) for
that answer.  you might try running with the external cache disabled in the
BIOS if thats possible (just to test the theory, wouldn't be an acceptable
long term solution).  All this is just a theory, I could easily be barking
up the wrong tree...

---
>Searching through old SMP mail archives, I saw a message from Hidetoshi
>Shimokawa (Sep 29, 1996) where he was having problems with another Tyan
>board where the boot CPU was not #0.  He had patches to some initialization
>code and termination code that made sure the correct CPU is doing the init
>and termination.  This is not in the current sources.  Any chance this is
>related?

no, we are past those issues in the current code.  there is a table mapping
physical CPU numbers to virtual numbers, insuring that the right one is
selected.
---
>mptable with and without APIC_IO is below.

the only thing that jumps out is having ep0 on IRQ15, try to keep everything
off of 14 & 15.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD