Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 12:40:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Holland <ianh@tortuga.com.au>
To:        Freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS problems in 2.x -- fixed in 3.x?

In local.freebsd.hackers <199905262104.OAA09985@kithrup.com> you enscribed:

>>Yes, I was able to reproduce it.
>>
>>Client - FreeBSD 2.2.8-stable (PII-300Mhz)
>>
>>Server1 - Solaris 2.6 (UltraSparc 2)
>>Server2 - FreeBSD 2.2.8 (P133 laptop)
>>
>>If I create a file on both servers as myself, size 0, mode 444, and
>>attempt to append to them, it fails with 'permission denied'.
>>
>>If I mount both directories on my client box and attempt the same
>>operation (using the same UID as on the servers), it fails on the
>>Solaris exported directory but succeeds on the FreeBSD exported
>>directory.

I tried this with 3.1 (both server and client), and it appears to be fixed.

frabjous% id
uid=1001(ianh) ...
frabjous% :>foo
frabjous% chmod 444 foo
frabjous% ls -l foo
-r--r--r--  1 ianh  staff  0 May 29 12:29 foo

slithy% id
uid=1001(ianh) ...
slithy% ls -l foo
-r--r--r--  1 ianh  staff  0 May 29 12:29 foo
slithy% df -k .
Filesystem      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
frabjous:/home    1296131   335001   857440    28%    /home
slithy% date >>foo
bash: foo: Permission denied
slithy% sh
slithy% date >>foo
cannot create foo: permission denied

--
Ian Holland                In a world without fences,
ianh@tortuga.com.au             Who needs Gates?