Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:03:47 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: cksum entire dir??

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 02:48:54AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:24:08 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> > > Maybe it's possible to tar the directory (without
> > > compression of course) and obtain a checksum of
> > > the tar archive?
> > >
> > > 	% tar cf - <director> | cksum
> > >
> > > But I also tried cksum directly with a directory
> > > like
> > >
> > > 	% cksum <directory>
> > >
> > > and could obtain a checksum - so it _seems_ to work.
> > > After alteration of one file within the hierarchy a
> > > different result was printed.
> > >
> > > Tested on OS version 8.2-STABLE/i386, one year old.
> > >

> > 	I think I tried something like your second example last night.
> > 	I think I did
> >
> > 	% cksum foodir/*
>
> That lets the shell expand * to the content of foodir, making
> a final command line like "cksum foodir/file1 foodir/file2"
> and so on. If you omit the /* part, the directory will be
> checksummed entirely. If you then remove a file or change
> it, a different checksum will be printed. At least that is
> my interpretation of what I've tested.
>

> > 	if there isn't anything that can compare entire dirs, it looks like
> > 	it's time to hack a small program.  tx, polyt.
>
> The Midnight Commander has a function to compare directories
> which will also identify _which_ files have changed (unlike
> the command "cksum foodir" that will tell you _that_ a file
> has been changed) and use the "mark file" function to highlight
> those files. It can be accessed by putting one directory into
> the left, the other one into the right panel, and then F9 C C
> (or Ctrl-X D). You are then presented a selection:
>
> 	+---------------- Compare directories -----------------+
> 	| Select compare method:                               |
> 	|                                                      |
> 	|  [ Quick ]  [ Size only ]  [ Thorough ]  [ Cancel ]  |
> 	+------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Quick = file names, Size only = file sizes, Thorough = file
> content.

	I'm not concerned about a file having been changed, just whether

	   % cp -rp /home/klinebak/foodir   /home/kline/

	is 100% reliable.  down to the bit!  a friend has volunteered
	to take over my system admin chores.  he left my drive fragmented
	and while I am going over /home/klinebak with extreme caution--
	getting rid of dross while coping everything valid to my new
	/home/ dir.  im hoping that the cp utility is flawless and/or
	that the drive to this duo/dual-CPU computer is good.   I'm
	buying a new Dell 4-CPU new.  Should have everything setup in a
	couple weeks.  Oh, and in addition to klinebak, there are
	fragments of my backup systems all over the place.

	Higgsbo, give me strength!