Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:05:18 -0500
From:      Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   GEOM: create disk during runtime? (security run output)

Hello,

I'm hoping somebody on this list can shed some light on this.

My boss sent me a copy of his daily cron security run output, which contained this:

	localhost.local kernel log messages:
	  GEOM: create disk ad0 dp=0xc6b77d60
	  GEOM: create disk cd0 dp=0xc69a8600

We're all running FreeBSD 5.2.1-p12. I've seen the "GEOM: create disk" messages plenty of times on boot and in my dmesg's, but never really paid much attention to them, since I don't really understand how GEOM works or how to interpret these kinds of messages.

But I don't recall ever seeing it in a security run cronjob.

My first question is "why is this happening during a security run cronjob? If this system is already booted and running, why is GEOM creating disks?"

My second question is "is this something bad? Is it a red flag?"

The only reasonable (and non-threatening) answer I could come up with is maybe it's because the machine went into or came out of suspend mode near the time the cronjob ran. (APM)

The bottom line is I don't really know anything about GEOM, and would like to know what this means so preventative action can be taken if necessary.

Thanks for any info,

Duane