Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 23:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        phk@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grondar.za, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> > > Yes.  It was offered on the basis that it be used to form a BSD Consortium.
> >
> > Well, since you are the one who always pushes the BSD Consortium, can
> > you tell me how the formation of it is going :-) :-) :-0
>
> BSDI seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
> the future of BSD because their strong historical ties to CSRG have
> resulted in them being the sole recognized authorities.  They also
> have almost total control of the BSD commercial software effort
> and therefore can dictate the ABI.

See all the stuff going on in FSSTND, I don't think they are in the
``dictating'' position on that one, and are already willing to bend
quite far in a cooperative effort to make this thing a reality for
Linux, FreeBSD and BSDI (at least, and evidently NetBSD is just going
to wait for the next draft and then decide (fools, IMHO, but what ever).

> NetBSD seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
> the future of BSD because their porting efforts have resulted in
> them being uniquely suited to taking all the architectural issues
> into account in their source base.  Their ABI compatability efforts
> have given them access to the commercial software on each ported
> platform, at least to a limited extent, and they feel they will
> displace the commercial OS's.

I am not allowed to speek for NetBSD, so ``no comment''  :-)

> FreeBSD seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
> the future of BSD because of their technological enhancements in the
> area of installation, VM, and commodity hardware coverage have
> resulted in them being more palletable to a larger user base.  They
> point to the number of messages in the FreeBSD news groups being
> larger than the twice number of messages in the NetBSD and BSD
> groups combined as evidence of their success.

I for one, as a core team member, am *very* interested in seeing an
attempt to do this.  Especially in lite of the recent cooperative
effort that is occuring between the Linux, BSDI, and FreeBSD camps.

> Linux seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
> the use of Linux instead by subverting public BSD channels into Linux
> advocacy groups.  You will be assimilated.  They have a magazine.  8-|.

This is hog wash and you darn well know it.  They have already agreed
to adopt whole sale pretty much the BSD way of doing /usr/share, and
are willing to follow *BSD in the architectual indepenedence areas.

> Other than that, everyone agrees it's a good idea, but no one wants
> to make it their part time job, even though it could be a paid job,
> given that non-profit corporations still have paid employees.

I doubt very much that it could afford to pay my normal rate, but
I would do this ``part time job'' for 1/2 of my normal rate if that
is what it takes to get you rolling on this.

> Sort of the same as is true for a "BSD Journal" (though given the
> Linux success in this area, that could go full-time easily).
>
> As for me: ideas aren't a problem; time to implement them all *is* a
> problem.

I think that time is the *whole* problem, and none of what you said
is much of the problem at all.