Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:31:48 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgconf issue ?

--F8dlzb82+Fcn6AgP

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:47:53AM +0200, Olivier Smedts wrote:
> 2012/8/9 Tijl Coosemans <tijl@coosemans.org>:
> > On 09-08-2012 15:14, Olivier Smedts wrote:
> >> All my ports are up-to-date and I've previously dealt with the
> >> pkg-config -> pkgconf transition by reading UPDATING. No problems.
> >>
> >> But now I try to install a port which depends on ports I didn't have,
> >> which in turn depend on cairo... and they fail to build. And it's
> >> strange because there seems to be a problem with pkgconf, at least on
> >> my system :
> >>
> >> # pkg-config --cflags cairo
> >> Package glproto was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> >> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glproto.pc'
> >> to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> >> No package 'glproto' found
> >
> > I opened a PR for this a month ago:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D169701
>=20
> OK this explains my problem, partly, but I'm nearly sure that even
> with gl.pc missing, pkg-config handled this situation and correctly
> gave the good cairo (for example, with my cairo depending on gl)
> cflags and includes, while with pkgconf it fails to give the good
> include path. That's why I cc'ed bapt.
>=20
> --=20
> Olivier Smedts                                                 _
>                                         ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
> e-mail: olivier@gid0.org        - against HTML email & vCards  X
> www: http://www.gid0.org    - against proprietary attachments / \
>=20
>   "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
>   ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
>   et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."

here is the output of pkg-config 0.27 without gl.pc:

pkg-config --cflags cairo

Package gl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gl.pc'
Package 'gl', required by 'cairo', not found

it returns 1

here is the output of pkgconf 0.8.5 without gl.pc

Package gl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gl.pc'
No package 'gl' found
-I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include/pixman-1
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/freetype2

it returns 0

there maybe a compatibility problem here, but both should fail at giving yo=
u the
right include :)

still I'll fix pkgconf when back

regards,