Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:38:26 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   su and PS1

This is from su(1) under 2.2-STABLE :

| By default (unless the prompt is reset by a startup file) the super-user
| prompt is set to ``#'' to remind one of its awesome power.

The su program doesn't actually appear to do this. Even if su is run
with -l (emulate full login) PS1 is only affected by .profile commands,
not by su itself.

Is the man page wrong / out of date or is su simply not doing what it's
supposed to with the command prompt? Or have I misunderstood how the
command prompt is manipulated (some way other than with PS1)?

Regards,
Sheldon.

--
Sheldon Hearn                                   http://axl.iafrica.com/
Training Officer                                        +27-21-658-8515