Date:      Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:48:04 +0200
From:      "Kipp Holger" <h.kipp@eurowings.com>
To:        "Tomas Palfi" <tpalfi@phoenixmedical.co.uk>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AW: vinum volume manager

Tomas Palfi wrote on Wednesday, 07.09.2005 14:25
=20
> Hi All,
>
> I have used the following message as a template, I have exactly the =
same
> problem with vinum, and wonder if someone knows the solution to it.=20

> However, it appears that the vinum config isn't being saved, as
> rebooting the machine can't find the vinum root partition, and
> after manually booting to the pre-vinum root (ufs:ad0s1a) running
> vinum list shows no volume information.
=20
> During the reboot, vinum appears to load ok, but it can't find
> the root (as shown by the last bit of the dmesg):

I have the same problem on 4.10 with ide-disks (3ware controller),
but without mounting root via vinum.

Anyway, you might succeed if you tell vinum the names of the=20
devices it should use in /boot/loader.conf, eg. with:

vinum.drives=3D"/dev/twed1 /dev/twed2 /dev/twed3 /dev/twed4"

there is also a vinum command 'read' which will read the configuration
from the drive(s) specified. Please note that if you do not specify
all drives in one command, vinum will not find the other drives and
complain about missing drives, marking the relevant volumes as
degraded or worse.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Holger Kipp