Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:03:38 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Ken Stailey <kstailey@surfbest.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/www/mozilla/Makefile

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 06:56:22PM -0500, Ken Stailey wrote:
>Alan Eldridge wrote:
>>The ITS way of doing things also assumes you can trust your users. I
>>am willing to make no such assumption. Those days are gone. I miss them.
>>
>Then why run an PI ITS if you don't like the way things are done there?

You run it in your own space, with your own permissions.

>>Something that requires running as root and modifying files (sharing
>>them between users, even) in the ${PREFIX} tree strikes me as a
>>BMF security problem. A disaster waiting to happen.
>>
>Can the emulator effect things outside of the vm?  If not then it's an
>ITS problem not a FreeBSD one.

If the file is world writable, then the vm doesn't have to directly
do anything.

Hell, somebody can just dd a bunch of zeros on top of it to piss you
off.

How *do* multiple users share the emulator?

>The KLH-10 code probably hasn't been audited.  I wonder if using setuid
>on just dpimp would be
>dangerous or not.

If you don't know what the code does, then making it setuid root is
highly irresponsible.

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm