Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 11:06:17 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co, ache@nagual.ru, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

In message <199701080747.XAA11117@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU> Satoshi
Asami writes:
: I agree with this in principle.  If it can be differentiated by the
: BSD macro, it should be used instead of __FreeBSD__ and/or
: __OpenBSD__.

I agree.

: By the way, has anyone have a list of changes that can be
: distinguished by the BSD macro?  I haven't been around the sources too
: long, and I'm sure there will be others there that will appreciate it
: (we can even put it in the handbook!)....

That would be useful.

: I don't think OpenBSD people would like that. ;)

You are correct, since it (-D__FreeBSD__ in openbsd) is a kludge and
likely wrong in a few cases that are harder to find.

: And about the patches:

I know that Niklas just added the OpenBSD cases to all places that
were relevant that already had FreeBSD ifdefs.  Some of them were
originally bogus (eg the gets vs fgets one, that should have been an
outright patch, or at least #if 0 ... #else ... #endif).

And the original code is quite ugly too.  It should have #if
defined(STDC) in more places rather than listing the 1024927387124398
different operating systems.  Having cleaned up a large code base to
do just that, it saves a lot of time down stream.

That said, what is the goal of the ports system?  To be beautiful on
all systems, or to have minimally invasive change to the software to
get it to be functional on FreeBSD?  You can't have both, since the
former usually requires a boatload more work than the latter, and a
lot of machines to try something on, and a lot of patence in getting
things exactly right...

Warner