Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 19:41:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mbar@netcom.com (Matthew Barker)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Unpackable packages

Problems: I've attempted downloading packages from cdrom.com and
freebsd.org and have had the box running freebsd say they were invalid.

Because CD distribution of v2.0 FreeBSD included Seyon but no rz/sz
tools, I've taken to downloading to a Macintosh and transferring the
files in that way: all claimed to be corrupted when I invoked
pkg_add/info.  Messages went like this:
	gzip: stdin: invalid  compressed data--format violated
	tar: child returned status 1
	tar: +* not found in archive
	unable to open +CONTENTS file.

I first thought that the maybe the Mac comms sw was 'converting'
something in the download...So I zipped on the Netcom shell account with
'zip' before downloading, I unzipped on the FreeBSD box and still got the
same results.  I did a 'file pkgname' on the SunOS (Netcom) box and on
the FreeBSD box: SunOS claimed it was a 'tar' archive, while FreeBSD
claimed it was a:
	gzip compressed data - deflate method - last
	modified: Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969, max compression os:Unix.

Packages were gotten from the v2.0 packages directory.  Packages tried:
	olvwm4.tgz, piewm.tgz, fvwm,  xmille.tgz...

Also, the seyon package which came on the CD for v2.0 did not include the
'phonelist' and 'protocols' files which were said to be in the package,
were required to make seyon run, and were the only example of their own
format.

Any help?

Thanks again,
Matthew Barker (mbar@netcom.com)