Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 15:18:14 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI devices

> P.S.: Don't be fooled by marketing literature (or clueless lusers) who
>       talk about PCI adapters with "plug & play" support. PCI implies
>       "plug & play" in that the PCI BIOS works out what iospace and
>       membase addresses and IRQs to assign to cards in order to avoid
>       resource conflicts. But this is not the same as Plug & Play (tm),
>       which I think only applies to ISA boards. I sometimes see people
>       on mailing lists or newsgroups complaining that their PCI devices
>       don't work for some reason, and often someone follows up with
>       a suggestion to "disable plug & play| support. These people are
>       confused: PCI devices don't support Plug & Play (tm), so there's
>       nothing to turn off.

For clarity's sake and no more, let me point out that "Plug and Play"
is a generic term describing zero-user-intervention configuration.  PCI
is implicitly "plug and play" - you can't have a non-PnP PCI card, so
it's more correct to say that PCI devices only support Plug-n-Play so
you can't turn it off.

This confusion is common; many people refer to PnP only in the context
of ISA PnP, but PnP is a generic term applied to ISA PnP, PCI, PCMCIA,
CardBUS, USB, etc.