Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 01:35:26 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC164: xl0 sensitive to slot

Today I moved my FreeBSD/alpha box to a bigger disk.  Since I was
already digging through the entrails, I used the opportunity to
switch sym0 and sym1 by rearranging the cards.  The PC164 has four
PCI slots.  The number indicates the PCI device ID a card will have
when plugged into the corresponding slot:

       (top)
    9  ########
    5  ########
    7  ############

I switched sym0 and xl0, moving xl0 from 5 to 7 and vice versa for
sym0.  When I powered the box back up, xl0 was gone.  It didn't
show up as an unknown device in SRM's "show dev" any longer, and
although FreeBSD recognized a device it wouldn't attach a driver.
pciconf output properly identified the card.  (It's an old 3C905-TX,
no B or C revision.)

My PC164 doesn't appear to be sensitive to where I put the other
cards (Tekram DC-390UW, Matrox Mystique, noname '810AE).  Is the
3C905 known not to work in 64-bit slots?