Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 2015 15:20:15 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Subject:   Re: 8-stable crashing recently in ufsdirhash

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 09:30:28 -1000 parv <parv@bitter-almonds.com> wrote
>
> > On August 5, 2015 4:10:14 AM HST, Ian L
> > wrote:
> > >(i386).

> > >After building debug kernel, kgdb shows lock reversal order & in
> > >ufsdirhash. File systems (/, var, misc) are all UFS, with var & misc
> > >having soft updates enabled.

> > >delete a directory (/misc/obj); when I tried to edit (vi /etc/fstab) so
> > >that / would be mounted readonly. Most recent crash ...

> > >When you say you built a debug kernel, does that include option
> > >WITNESS_KDB?  If so, remove that so you can find the real error.  LORs
> > >related to ufs_dirhash have been reported for years, and nobody with
> > >the
> > >appropriate skills seems to be interested in fixing them; they just get
> > >declared to be harmless.
> >
> > I will try that as soon as I can. Currently after every little fs
> operation,
> > I am thrown in debugger-reboot-fsck cycle. As such I cannot do anything.
> >
> > This is my own damn fault because the non-debug kernel would run for some
> > random but meaningful amount of time before crash & reboot. I tried
> booting
> > /boot/kernel.old/kernel from boot prompt but that presented debugger soon
> > after boot.
> >
> > BTW is it possible to set kernel.old to boot next time at boot prompt?
> It might be somewhat easier to boot from the boot-only/install
> CD/DVD, and then choose rescue mode.
> After you've gotten there. Simply mount "/" in read/write, them open
> it's /boot/loader.conf, and add the following:
> kernel="kernel.old"
> boot_single="YES"
>
> and save it. You can then remove the CD/DVD, and reboot which will land
> you in single-user mode, from your kernel.old/kernel.
> Assuming it booted to that kernel OK, you can run fsck -f
> After it finishes, don't forget to re-edit /boot/loader.conf, and
> comment those lines you added earlier -- well at least:
> boot_single="YES"
>
> HTH
>
> --Chris

You're working too hard.

You can drop into the loader prompt and enter "boot kernel.old". This will
reload both the kernel and modules from /boot/kernel.old. Also handy and
virtually unknown is that you can build test kernels and not blow away the
old, working kernel by using "make reinstallkernel" instead of
installkernel. This will keep the existing kernel.old and just replace the
currently running kernel.

N.B. There is a bug that will cause a failure to re-install  PORTS_MODULES.
Really not too significant, but it LOOKS like the reinstall failed. Looks
trivial to fix, but I have not seen any indication that the bug has been
looked at to this point.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com