Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 09:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Algorithm used to delete part of a file

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> Thanks for your valuable information. This explains why I have not found
> any routines in the files under /ufs/ffs and /ufs/ufs that re-organize the
> on-disk image of a file in that way. If a middle part of a file is
> deleted, then all the remaining part of the file must be read by an editor
> (such as vi) and written out to another place before the file length is
> truncated. This algorithm seems to be not very efficient. But disk is not
> like memory, where we can simply modify pointers to point to new locations
> easily, I guess there may be no better way to do this.  If you have any
> ideas about why this is not done by the filesystem itself, please let me
> know.

Because deleting the middle of a file is an relatively uncommon operation.
Text editing is in the overall operation of a system not the most common
application.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Zhihui

Brian Beattie            | The only problem with
beattie@aracnet.com      | winning the rat race ...
www.aracnet.com/~beattie | in the end you're still a rat