Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 18:25:42 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: from -chat, Re: Mindcruft ...

On 7 May 99, at 16:44, James A. Mutter wrote:

>> If we come in behind NT, we don't have to say it, and in fact
>> shouldn't, but most people seem to feel that the Mindcraft tests
>> are rigged at the outset, so there's no shame in losing in a rigged
>> race.  The only question we'd have to answer is, "If you knew it was
>> rigged, why did you get involved?  By getting involved you grant them
>> some of your respectability and get nothing in return."  And that's a
>> tough question to answer if we feel it is rigged.

>> The best solution  might be to ask to be involved.  Send the best we
>> can, and if it looks rigged, walk and explain why.  Loudly.

> I don't think that's a good idea.  If you're going to play the game
> then play game.  Don't commit yourself to playing the game and then
> walk away because you weren't aware of the rules.  That, to me, looks
> worse than an outright loss, I think it makes us look unprofessional at
> best, whiners at worst.  At this stage in the game, we can afford neither.

I reformatted what you quoted to match what I sent.  If
FreeBSD.org sends people to the MindCraft tests and finds that it is
hopelessly rigged and there is no way to even show well, then it's
time to leave.  BEFORE benchmarks have been run.  Like when you
pull your car into the race and are told that you're welcome to race,
but you'll have to disconnect 1/2 the sparkplugs first.

Once the testing is started, it's like a roller coaster ride - you're in
it for the duration.

My objection isn't to whether it's rigged or not.  Like others, I see
it as a chance to publicise FreeBSD to people who haven't seen it or
heard of it.  And that benefit occurs whether we win, draw, or lose.
The only time I'd have a problem is if the test is hopelessly and
blatantly rigged.  And then walking in a dignified manner may be
appropriate.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

Recently Seen On A Bumper Sticker Near Your Home:
We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated.