Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 08:45:15 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
Cc:        David Abdemoulaie <raven@dabdemou.campus.vt.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fat32

Eric Hodel wrote:

> David Abdemoulaie wrote:
> >
> > I have an important question.. Does FreeBSD support FAT32 Partitions? The
> > reason I'm asking is that when I try to mount a fat32 part. it doesn't
> > work, but a friend of mine.. when he install's freebsd it recognizes one
> > of his fat32's but I dont know if he can mount it or not. Is there some
> > 3rd party thing that you know of that would allow me to mount fat32
> > drives? One more thing.. How do I get it to mount my fat16 drives at
> > startup, i can do it manually but i have to do it each time i restart my
> > computer.
>
> Yes, 2.2.6 (2.2.5?) and later can.

It was introduced in 2.2.7 not 2.2.6. From the 2.2.7 Release Notes:

1. What's new since 2.2.6
-------------------------

Kernel features:
----------------
o DPT SCSI RAID controller updated (including support for EISA cards)
  and is now enabled by default.

o MSDOS FAT32 (Win95 long filename) support.

> /etc/fstab will mount on boot
>
> --
> Eric Hodel
> hodeleri@seattleu.edu

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

           My homepage http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov
Mark Ovens, CNC Apps Engineer,   |    mailto:marko@uk.radan.com
Radan Computational Ltd          |         http://www.radan.com
Bath, England. CAD/CAM solutions | FreeBSD - The Power To Serve
for the Sheetmetal Work industry.|       http://www.freebsd.org