Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:07:21 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no active SCB; BUS DEVICE RESET

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 10:41:00AM -0600, SDS wrote:
> Yup.  Gotta love it.  Feel ripped off yet?  I had a Micropolis 2 GB drive
> that had the same problem.  It's the firmware.  And there's nothing that
> can be done as Micropolis is no longer (as you undoubtedly know).  This
> problem is not OS or architecture specific.  I tried the damned thing in a
> SPARC, with different SCSI controllers, a Windows 95 machine (!!!)  and
> finally ended up dumping it in an old 286 w/ an old ISA controller
> running DOS (and it will still periodically crash).  At least FreeBSD offers
> some diagnostic messages (the others would just lock up)

Micropolis is history?  GOOD!  Some of the worst drives on the face of the
earth came from them.

Personally, I would *highly* recommend Quantum (server-class) scsi drives,
such as the Viking II or Atlas drives.  Very nice, stable, reliable.

If you need good prices on these, try www.accubyte.com.  They're about
two blocks from my house, so I do quite a bit of business with them...
best prices I've seen yet.

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
       "American Justice: oxymoron.  William J. Clinton: moron."