Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 00:10:29 +0900
From:      MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [Patch] pccard beep melody patch(Rev.2)

Hi.

  I posted pccard beep melody patch on Jan/3 in this mailing list.

  That patch set was included change to sys/i386/isa/clocks.c.  So
no-one committed that patch into FreeBSD tree, I think.

  I rewrite melody patch which is not included change to clocks.c,
only to sys/pccard/pccard_beep.c.

http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~sanpei/5-current/sys-pccard-pccard_beep_melody-20000507.diff

  I only tested this patch under 5-current enviroment.  But I think
it could apply to 4.0-RELEASE/4-stable tree.
  And add below line into /etc/rc.conf:
pccard_beep="2"

  By the way, Iwasaki-san has yet another idea about pccard beep
melody.  Add new function to /usr/sbin/pccardd or device management
daemon and use /dev/speaker like this

-----in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf:
device inserted
	echo 't120o3l16 bf+' > /dev/speaker
device removed
	echo 't120o3l16 f+b' > /dev/speaker
device attached
	echo 't120o3l32 b>c+f+16' > /dev/speaker
-----

  It sounds good, we could use /dev/audio if NOTE-PC has Sound Chip.

-----in /etc/pccard.conf
device inserted
	cat /home/sanpei/lib/inserted.au > /dev/audio
device removed
	cat /home/sanpei/lib/removed.au > /dev/audio
device attached
	cat /home/sanpei/lib/attached.au > /dev/audio
------
  But that idea has problem, I think.

	- current GENERIC kernel does not have pseudo-device speaker
	  (Is it easy to add pseudo-device speaker into GENERIC kernel?)
	- and novice user wants to use melody mode with default kernel.
	  (especially for PAO3 users, melody is defalut beep in
	  PAO3)

  I did not create diff for man page,
usr.sbin/pccard/pccardc/pccardc.8.  But it is easy work.

  Any comments?

Thank you.
---
MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro