Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 14:34:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing a partition between Solaris & FreeBSD..

> It looks like it's practical, based on experiments I performed with Zip
> disks, to format a HD partition (or Zip disk) with a 4.3BSD file system,
> and share it between FreeBSD and Solaris x86.  Unfortunately, both OS's
> use different (incompatible) "slicing" mechanisms to put several
> partitions in one FDISK partition, but if you limit things to one UFS
> partition per filesystem, it should work, using the following /dev names:

This was, in fact, my #1 motivation for wanting physical-to-logical
device drivers implemented in the DEVFS implementation space.  I must
admit that I wanted it for the OSF/1 disklabel, and the IBM JFS code
I've been hacking on off and on for the PPC port, but the principle
is the same.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---