Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DPT problem with new boot.flp

Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 11-Aug-97 you wrote:

>   It seems that the problem is within sysinstall.  I specified a 200MB
> /usr and left the rest of the array unallocated, and sysinstall newfs'ed
> it fine.

With which DPT version?

>   Perhaps sysinstall is generating a bogus label when you specify large
> filesystems.

Larger than 4GB, I run into problems, at times, regardless of SCSI
interface.

>   Are people actually using sysinstall from the boot floppy to set up
> a system with a DPT?

I do.  Routinely :-)  There are two possibilities for the problem:

a.  Sysinstall does not understand well enough things which are too big.

b.  Newfs issues a very dense burst of disk WRITE operations to the raw
    device.
    This can cause, on certain motherboards, invalid PCI bus transfers.
    If you use the sys/conf/i386/DPT config file as template to build a
    kernel, this kernel will either resist, or report, or cope with this
    problem, or all of the above.  The cost is in performance.
    Not terrible, but some cost.

Simon