Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2016 21:56:33 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Odroid C2 unable to boot

FYI for Hardkernel's serial cable: See. . .

http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=3Den:usb_uart_kit

for instructions for more than just Windows 7: Linux too.

For me the forum's Mac OS X material that is referenced did not work for =
Mac OS X 10.11.4 but the cable worked fine in basic tests with:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/serial/id877615577?mt=3D12
(not free)

(and its built-in drivers) when I set 115200 baud, 8 bit, no parity, one =
stop bit, flow control being just XON/XOFF based.

[The official drivers from =
http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/ did not work and =
caused hangs of the process involved under Mac OS X 10.11.4 . I =
uninstalled those drivers before buying and trying Serial.]

As for booting FreeBSD:
(I'm not a FreeBSD developer so take my guesses as no more than =
guesses.)

As far as I know no work has been done to enable ODROID-C2 FreeBSD =
support and as its ARMv8 environment is without UEFI or the like the =
"tier 1" status for it likely does not apply for FreeBSD-11.0. Even if =
someone knew just what to do and got it booted today it might be =
considered a bit late to tier-1 something that was completely untested =
before this point.

And the FreeBSD developers probably have there hands full with things =
started well before now.

While I hope to use my ODROID-C2 with FreeBSD someday I'm not expecting =
it to be soon and bootstrapping kernels and such is not familiar =
material for me so I'm not much help on that issue (at least not on a =
reasonable time frame).

I also expect that if any ARMv7/ARMv6/. . . are given tier-1 status it =
will only specific SOCs/boards that get such a status: no claim of =
general tier-1 support. So even if, say, RPI2B gets such a status, it =
may well be that at least for a time even the RPI3B might not. Many =
SOC's/boards may never get such a status. Some may only get partial =
coverage and no official support. It likely is mostly tied to who has =
the knowledge and spends the time and would likely be around for =
continued support for a notable time.

In various respects ODROID-C2 is more like ARMv7/ARMv6/. . . relative to =
its likely, eventual support status as far as I can tell.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net