Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:19:28 -0400
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel@pelleg.org>
To:        Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>, Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install hangs on IBM Thinkpad X23

Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:23:15 -0400 (EDT), Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I keep running across the same error when installing via floppy for 4.9,
>> 4.10, and 5.2.1. When the initial kernel loads from mfsroot.flp, it always
>> hangs solid (requiring a cold boot) at this line:
>>
>> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)
>>

> Hi Dru:
>
>  I came across this advice:
> This is just a shot in the dark by try doing:
> sysctl hw.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
> Then try loading the snd module.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-December/016544.html
>
> Also this suggestion may help:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=43475+0+archive/2002/freebsd-multimedia/20020414.freebsd-multimedia

I believe I posted that while testing a patch to ac97.c. I'm not sure it
wasn't needed for GENERIC kernels. I will admit that
hw.allow_unsupported_io_range=1 helps solve a lot of similar problems.

> The FLCL has a link to these other suggestions:
> http://web.cs.cmu.edu/~dpelleg/X23_freebsd.html
> You may want to look there also.

I'm about to update that page for -5.X. On my 2662-E5U I successfully
installed 4.5, some early 5 release (either 5.1 or 5.2.1), and
5.3-beta3. All of them from a USB cd-rom, none of them while docked. I
don't recall ever seeing that error. So at this point I tend to think it's
something that can be fixed by changing some BIOS option. Possibly along
the lines of:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019435.html

PS: if you don't have MS-Windows on that machine, and your desired BIOS
change is not supported in the startup menus, you can download the PS2 tool
from IBM's website to change it. At least, in theory you can. In practice,
they don't provide floppy or iso9660 images. You need to ignore the
misleading instructions on:
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG

And then download the .exe and run it on a Windows machine (not necessarily
a thinkpad). Don't try to run what it extracted - it probably won't
work. But you can copy the UTILITY directory that it creates to a floppy
and run that.

That is, if you have a floppy. I don't. I had to grab images from DOS
floppies, mount them on a vn(4), and manipulate them so I had one image for
a bootable floppy and another one with the contents of the IBM tools.

Then, all that was left was to run:
mkisofs -r -b boot.img  -c boot.catalog -o ../bootcd.iso .
on each, burn the generated ISOs to CDs, and boot off those. Phew.

Yes, I complained to IBM about this. I asked for ISO images.

I would post the images (allegedly they're good for a wide range of
ThinkPad models, and can create hibernation partitions or files on some of
them) if it weren't in violation of the EULA.

--

  Dan Pelleg