Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:58:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        Thomas Nystrom <thn@saeab.se>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for hanging of vr interface (Rhine Ethernet)

    No, that doesn't help the video glitches.  I can mitigate
    them somewhat by reducing the horizontal refresh, or fix
    it completely by going to a lower video mode.  I don't
    consider it a big deal this being the low-end EPIA5000,
    though it is worth noting that the higher-end models,
    e.g. the EM6000 and the M9000, use much faster memory
    and probably don't have any issues in this regards.

    It's rather odd.  Decreasing the vertical refresh rate
    makes the problem worse.  Increasing it seems to make
    things better.  Very odd.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Hmm. I wonder. Have you tried this, and does it help?:
:
:http://www.mini-itx.com/faq.asp#Linux1
:
:	3.2. What should I do if I have poor quality sound (pops, clicks and
:squeaks) - particularly when dragging or scrolling windows?
:
:    This is caused by X writing blindly to the video card's instruction
:queue without checking to see if the queue is full. This will lock the
:PCI bus for about 40 - 50 audio cycles, causing pops, clicks and
:squeaks. The via82cxxx_audio driver is still somewhat fragile, so it is
:possible that some applications will fault ungracefully if the bus is
:disrupted badly enough (e.g. with SDL applications).
:
:	You can make X play nice with the PCI bus by adding Option "PciRetry"
:"true" to the "Device" stanza. Nasty pops and glitches will go away, and
:system stability will be much improved.
:
:Cheers,
:
:AS