Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:20:41 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > See my references.  Do the math.  The game you are describing has
> > only one set of paredo-optimal results.
>
> I can infer the validity from my observations, thank you.

Then may I suggest you do so?  8-).

> A better example is focus on what you want to read rather than
> focusing on what others do not want to read. By your own mechanics,
> if everyone did this, trolls would not have any effect on the
> community.

There are people who can not do this.  I would prefer to have the
contributions of those people, than the participation of the trolls.
If I must lose one or the other, let it be the trolls.

> You don't appparently even have the desire to know what real "good"
> is. Hint: it's not the average perception.

The closest you can come to any ideal is to produce a system whose
output asymptotically approaches the ideal.

> > We already know how to measure good: it's 100 minus the precentage
> > deviation from the consensus.
>
> I disagree that this is good or has anything to do with real good.

The consensus definition is all that matters, unless you believe
we are being judged against some absolute scale by a higher power.
Even so, unless that;s the consensus belief...

> The consensus thinks that getting filthy rich is good. If everyone
> were filthy rich, there wouldn't be a notion of rich or poor, and
> the concept would vanish. Then no one would be rich.

Or poor.  And that would be good.

> > Your insistance on "unknowability" is bizarre.
>
> To you, perhaps. Everything must be knowable in your universe. I can
> live with some things being unknowable.

You lack of curiousity and determination marks you.

> > A definition I accept; I don't claim to have originated it.
>
> I don't accept it outside of physics or engineering, surprise
> surprise, but you brought it up therefore it's yours. ;)

You lack of a belief in gravity will not spare you from its effects.  8-).

-- Terry