Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:30:18 -0800
From:      "Steve Wingate" <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD/DHCP talking to lan winbox

> I have a FBSD4.4 gateway/firewall with lan winboxs behind it.
> The winboxs have hard coded info in the networking windows IP address
> and DNS ip address. Everything has been working just fine.
> I wanted to learn about DHCPD  server so I installed it from
> the ports. After I got it installed and configurated I started
> it up ok. Then I went to one of the lan winboxs and changed the
> networking settings to "Obtain ip address automatically" leaving
> the DNS ip address in. When the winbox rebooted I saw the new ip
> address in the DHCP log. I can ping the winbox from the FBSD box
> and ping FBSD from the winbox. But any thing orginating from the winbox
> that needs DNS fails.
>
> Will FBSD/DHCP work with ms/windows box on the lan
>
> Is there someplace else in windows I have to tell it about dhcp?

You said you're leaving the manually entered DNS servers on the Windows
boxes but you have them entered in the dhcpd configuration anyway? Why? Did
you try to let the Windows boxes get their dns info from dhcpd also?
Do the Windows boxes still show DNS info in ipconfig /all? Does nslookup
bring up a DNS server?