Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:53:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org>, lite2@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs tree

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <199608191928.MAA03851@freefall.freebsd.org>, Jeffrey Hsu writes:
> >
> >The problem is that this is too large of a change to put into -current
> >to run, test, and debug there.  So I ws hoping that I could get more
> >people to take a look at it if there was a tree for them to sup and
> >work off without having to inflict instability on -current, even though
> >that's what -current is nominally for.
>
> I think that we have to realize that one cannot be a little bit pregnant
> and just go for it.  Few if any of us would have the time to play with
> the stuff if it's in a separate tree.
>
> If it gets put into -current, then we'll bloddy have to run it :-)
>
> Remember a lot of things have been put on "hold until lite2 is in" and
> I don't think that is really a good thing to extend that hold.
>
> So, if you can boot your code, and it generally holds up for more than
> 20 minutes between panics, commit it, and life will go on albeit a little
> bit bumpy for the next couple of days/weeks.
>
> Should peter want to put a tag right before the import, just in case,
> I'm not against it, but waiting doesn't work.  We've been there, done
> that, and it just never stops!

I more or less agree with Poul apart from the fact that not all of the
filesystems have been converted.  In Jeffrey's recent patch set, it
appears that devfs, cd9660, msdosfs and nfs all still need the merge.  I
couldn't get procfs to work either although it did compile.  There seem to
be a couple of issues with changes to the cdevdw and bdevdw structures as
well which affects a lot of drivers.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761