Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:39:06 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/random

	Just after I posted my first question, I remembered the
documentation on MAKEDEV.  Nowhere does it mention /dev/random as
one of the standard devices, but I ran ./MAKEDEV std and got it.

	As I said, this system was recently upgraded to
FreeBSD4.5 and the upgrade was done on the system when it was in
multi-user mode.  I guess all the standard devices did not get
made at that time.  Is there any kind of script that one can run
to make sure there are not any other nasty omitions?

	I recently upgraded 3 more systems to 4.5 and it
definitely pays to go to single-user mode as the documentation
says.
Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group