Date:      Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:40:49 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Aleksey Spiridonov <leksey@ya.ru>, gnome-list freebsd <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port net-im/empathy/ possible broken

On 07/04/2011 16:18, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Jan Henrik Sylvester<me@janh.de>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 20:59, Jeremy Messenger<mezz.freebsd at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The pointyhat[1] and I can't reproduce it. You will need to make sure
>>> to follow this: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-8-latest-logs/empathy-2.32.2_1.log
>>
>> Have you found out more about this?
>
> I don't have to, because pointyhat and a lot of users don't have any of problem.

Sorry for not being clear: I did not mean you specifically, since you
could not reproduce the problem, but you in general, like Aleksey or
anyone else with this problem.

>> sysutils/gnome-mount: gnome-keyring:${PORTSDIR}/security/gnome-keyring
>> devel/gvfs: gnome-keyring:${PORTSDIR}/security/libgnome-keyring
>>
>> Ok, it seems to depend on which is installed first. If libgnome-keyring is
>> present, gnome-keyring is fulfilled since lib/libgnome-keyring.so.0 is
>> installed. Hence, gnome-keyring will not be installed and registered.
>>
>> Is the dependency for gnome-keyring correct?
>
> No, but it's already fixed in MarcusCom CVS by me a few months ago
> that will be committed in this month.

I do understand that updates and stylistic bug fixes do not go into
ports immediately, since many users (including me) rather have stable
gnome related ports. Anyhow, I do not understand why bug fixes are
commited only after a few month. Aleksey and maybe some other people
from PC-BSD were looking into the problem, I was looking into it
independently, but the underlying issue was known for month.

In my opinion, looking for a file to fulfill a dependency that is not
actually installed by the port specified is serious enough to fix, even
if it does not effect tinderbox builds, since it can have hard to find
side effects like the one with net-im/empathy.

Moreover, if you get libgnome-keyring alone (and there are some ports
depending only on it) and then install one of the many ports that have
the wrong gnome-keyring dependency, you will not get any dependencies
listed in the package -- more hard-to-find pitfalls for anyone not using
tinderbox.

I hope this does not sound like ranting, it is not supposed to be.

Did you (or someone else) fix this issue in all gnome maintained ports
(in MarcusCom)?

Is the fix a general change or should I write to the other maintainers
of ports with this issue?

Thanks,
Jan Henrik