Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:19:52 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Link to a new Tutorial ?

On Sun, Oct 26, 1997 at 11:59:15PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
[SNIP]
> > When our stuff is done, or at least in better shape, I certainly have
> > no quims about it residing on the FreeBSD servers as part of the
> > official FreeBSD Documentation Project (assuming it's worthy of such
> > honour) -- the only reason it's not right now is because it's changing so
> > rapidly it would be very inconvenient to have it anywhere except on my
> > server.
>
> Understood.  I assume that you're also doing this in SGML so that it
> has a fair chance of eventually being integrated?

Naturally. We were just going to write it in LaTeX, but decided we would
struggle through the SGML jungle instead. Using the Docbook DTD, which
I assume is the prefered DTD of the Documentation Project, no?
Docbook has been fairly good so far. The only thing I long for is an
option to crank out the book on more than one gigantic HTML page :-)

> > The bottom line is that any link to increase our visibility would be
> > appreciated. If the Guide can help anyone out, that's all we want - with
> > maybe an added bonus of some feedback so we can make it better.
>
> I suggest a link under the support page then, right next to the entry
> for www.computerbits.com.  Do you have a sentence or two's worth of
> descriptive HTML to tack in here, with appropriate URLs and such?
> I'd be happy to add it.

How about:

<A HREF="http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/">A Comprehensive Guide to FreeBSD</A> - an
attempt at a more readable, &quot;book-like&quot; tutorial explaining the FreeBSD
Operating System. Intended for people new to both FreeBSD and UNIX. Currently
a work in progress.

> And as far as feedback goes, it sure would be nice if you updated the
> sysinstall screen shots to a) be of something a little more recent
> vintage than 2.1.x and b) snapshot an actual working TCP setup screen
> rather than the one you have now which has the old display bug and
> looks terrible. :-)

Oops! I have a newer screenshot of the TCP setup, I guess I forgot to dump it
in...  We're currently going through all the screenshots and updating them
for 2.2.5. Not a small task!  :-)

TIA,
-Mark

> 					Jordan

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU