Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:14:54 -0400
From:      Chris Vance <cvance@chrisandkaren.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to install a custom built world+kernel to a machine with no	OS?

Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>>From: Sergey Zaharchenko [mailto:doublef@tele-kom.ru]
>>
>>On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:21:09AM -0700,
>> Darren Pilgrim probably wrote:
>>
>>>What do I need to us to accomplish the above?
>>
>>man release.
>

> Is there a way to skip the build portions of `make release` and just create
> the distributions and ISOs with what's already built?

I typically use:

setenv CVSROOT foo
time make -DNOPORTS -DNODOC -DMAKE_ISOS release CHROOTDIR=/usr/release
EXTSRCDIR=/usr/src > & /tmp/release.out

This presumes you've already done a buildworld in /usr/src; it will also
use that version of the source code, rather than pulling everything down
from the CVS server.  Because of the way the release process uses a
chroot environment, it's still going to have to re-build everything. So,
it's quite a time-intensive operation no matter how many shortcuts you take.

chris.