Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 13:42:55 +0100
From:      Francois Pollet <fpollet@castor.perceval.be>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Length for usernames ?

Hi,

We are new FreeBSD 2.0 users in Belgium.

We try to install an Internet Access Server on 486DX2 machines combined with
Cisco Terminal Servers. We bought the cd-rom (FreeBSD 2.0) at Walnut Creek.
At the beginning, we had some problems with this version especially with the ppp
that creates some panics on each use over modem lines.
Now that we use the snapshot 2.0-950210, every seems to be corrected.  We didn'thave any PANIC since a few weeks. If we have some trouble, we will send the panic report and a description of the strange operation we have done to panic the kernel !!

Now, I just have 2 small questions :

Where can I email a report when I have this kinds of problems and is there a better address to ask some questions ( not too stupid I hope !) when i have some
(this is just to know where can I do that without to disturb some too busy people)

I am just tryiing to create some users on my system with adduser or directly by editing the master.passwd and mkdb.  Everything seems to be created on the system but login does not recognize any users longer than 8 characters ?! I know it 'was' a limitation, but with linux, I can do more and it is important to create long users on an access server !! Is it Normal ?  Will this limitation change in a near future ?

Thanks by advance to reply.

Francois Pollet
fp@perceval.be

PS: We currently use the SnapShot 2.0-950210.