Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:47:50 +0100
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>, Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Memory disk

Ok, I'll try to answer both all in one go.  hopefully others will turn up=
 good=20
links.  googling for some of the ideas I'm mentioning will be your friend

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 10:19 pm, Walter wrote:
> Steve Bertrand wrote:
> > The reason for this is so I can make my boxes much smaller and much=20
> > faster (no hdd i/o).
> >=20
> > 1. Is it possible to do a custom r/o install of Free onto a CD?

yes.  it's called makiing a release.  see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/release-build.=
html
and   man release

> > 2. Is it possible to run FreeBSd out of memory with no hdd?

yes.  it would be running on a ramdisk.  search the archives, there have =
been=20
many conversations about the best way to do that.  Maybe mfs is what you'=
re=20
looking for:   man mfs

>=20
> This is a novice wondering out loud: To keep things
> small, is it possible to use the new memory cards
> (for digital cameras) instead of a hard drive? The

yes.  look for a compact flash - IDE adapter.  You can then run off of a=20
comapct flash card.

Tim