Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:50:50 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spamcop now completely broken?

Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Is is just me, or has SpamCop become useless? Two weeks ago, they were
> listing apache.org, now they're listing freebsd.org...

Someone (call them A) signs up to a FreeBSD mailing list.

Someone else (call them B) sends spam to the same FreeBSD mailing list.  The
mailing list fails to recognise this as spam, and forwards it on to everyone
else.

"A"'s system decides that the message is spam (either automatically, or with
human involvement).  "A" hasn't realised that the message came through the
list, and reports it to SpamCop.

SpamCop lists FreeBSD.org servers as the source of the spam.

Lather, rinse, repeat.