Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:24:24 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel and FreeBSD neck and neck?

j mckitrick writes:

> I recently read than the linux 2.2 kernel pretty much evened the TCP/IP
> performance difference between Linux and BSD.  Now i read somewhere that the
> 2.4 kernel is expected to match BSD pretty much across the board.

I recently read Bill Clinton balanced the federal budget over Congress's
dead body, put an end to war, reduced all women to equality, and
invented a toothpaste that makes teeth whiter.

Al Gore had nothing to do with the above, he was busy inventing the
internet, optimized Chinese financial resources, and nursed the Snail
Darter back from the endangered species list.

Not to mention all the Elvis sightings.

Microsoft would never lie, they have been saying for years that NT is
faster, better, more secure, more reliable, etc, than Unix.

The best adivce I've read came from fortune(6):

	Don't read everything you believe.

To which we can add the obvious:

	Don't believe everything you read.

As to whether or not FreeBSD or Linux is bestest? Try both for yourself.
If you can't measure or quantify a difference the way you use a
computer, then it doesn't matter.

IMHO: FreeBSD people are nicer to hang out with and have a better sense
of humor than Linux people.  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net