Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 22:06:03 -0400
From:      "rfrizza" <rfrizza@nb.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need help with install - Panic: page fault

I am trying to install FreeBSD on an old 486DX4 100. 32 meg of ram. Wester
Digital 3.1 gig hard drive. The motherboard is a "Baby AT Form Factor
ISA/VESA" Local Bus (I've taken the board back to the original defaults). I
have a Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 Sound card (Soundblaster 2.0) and
a Media Vision SCSI cdrom (Mitsumi FX-001). The modem is a DataTek generic
modem which setup doesn't recognize. No network card at present.

The problem:
I can't get past the initial setup where it probes for all of the drivers.
It has repeatedly stop at the exact same spot with the exact same error no
matter what I tell it to do. If I could obtain some insight into what the
below means then I should be able to understand how to proceed. I am a PC
programming - understanding programming languages - but this is all new to
me - the reason why I wanted to install FreeBSD in the first place.

Special hint:
I have always had a problem installing the cdrom and soundcard. Doesn't
matter what version of MS operating system I install - it insist on giving
me a hard time. I have learned, over time, how to beat it but this is a
whole new OS and I haven't even seen what it looks like or how it
reacts...YET!!!

Last item probed:
npx0 at 0xf0-0xff irq 13 on motherboard

fault virtual address      = 0x6adb
fault code                      = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer        = 0x8:0x6adb
stack pointer                = 0x10:0xc0603e58
frame pointer                = 0x10:0xc0603e74
code segment              =base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                       = DPL 0, pres 1,def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags          = interupt enable, resume, IOPL = 0
current process            = 0 ()
interupt mask               = net tty bio cam
trap number                 = 12
Panic: page fault

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,