Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:53:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        jack xiao <jack_xiao99@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MTU problems on PPP interfaces with L2TP

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, jack xiao wrote:

> During the test, I found I can hit websites but can't download files
> from some websites. So I droped the PPP mtu and mru to 1452 and I can
> download but can't hit some websites.

Sounds like a MTU path discovery problem.

Are you using RFC1419 (192.168 or 10.x or 172.x) address space anywhere in
your network and/or are filtering ICMP anywhere?

If not, do you have a sample website which is exibiting breakage?

Chances are the ICMP responses to the DF packets which MTU path discovery
uses aren't getting back to their origin.  The broken web sites might be
the ones using MTU path discovery, or there may be a fragmentation issue
somewhere end to end.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE