Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:47:41 -0400
From:      "Jerry Murdock" <jmurdock@itraktech.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Matthew Hagerty" <mhagerty@voyager.net>, "Patrick Simon" <patsimon12@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: just how many known viruses are there for FreeBSD?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: "Matthew Hagerty" <mhagerty@voyager.net>; "Patrick Simon"
<patsimon12@yahoo.com>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 2:29 AM

> This is NOT the reason that people don't waste their time writing UNIX
> worms.  There's 2 reasons that the crackers don't write them:
>
> 1) Most UNIX systems are run by administrators that have a brain and as a
> result when security holes are discovered, everyone patches almost
> immediately.  By contrast, most NT servers are run by morons who can't
> even patch their own servers even when Microsoft puts a link on the front
> of their website to the patch.
>
> As a result a Windows virus will live for years because there's always more
> systems available that haven't been patched.  UNIX viruses, like the
> Internet Worm, have a life of perhaps 2 days tops before the holes that
> they exploit are closed.
>
> 2) Writing UNIX code takes someone with at least half a brain.  The crackers
> writing stuff like Code Red don't have the intelligence to write a UNIX
> virus.

Actually Code Red is one of the more clever ones.  It is not a simple VBScript
hack.  If a new unchecked buffer/remote execution exploit was found in an
Apache module then something similar could be constructed without need for
root access, using many of the same concepts.

But, I would add two more reasons to the above:

3: Windows is the biggest, most homogenous target out there, largely because
of M$ enable everything by default install practices.  I am willing to bet 90%
of the Code Red victims out there should not have had the .ida filter enabled
at all. Code Red wasn't an issue for my boxes with or without the patch.

It would be hard for a *nix virus to proliferate and find an opening was as
widely installed.  About the only thing that would be comparable is if an
Apache exploit was found that was present in all versions of Apache, and on
all platforms.  The *nix world is too diverse for that to happen very often if
at all.

4: Everyone loves to hate M$.

Jerry