Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 17:52:05 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, mark@grondar.za, current@freebsd.org, csgr@freebsd.org, Wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Crypt code summary(2).

> Give me a site stable enough that could be used and I we can talk it
> up in -core.  But from past record we are not doing to good here.  We
> have had 3 folks from outside the USA start down this road, and we are
> hoping that that Mark can stay with it for the long haul, but without
> a site as devoted to FreeBSD as freefall by corporate dollar I don't see
> us moving the bits any place.

Well, well, well! we may have such a thing!

The kind folks at CSIR in South Africa who give me the Skeleton site for
sourcing the crypto stuff have offered their machine for just this!
(See mail to -hackers and bounce by me to the -current list). They are
offering this machine as a full-blown code maintenance (cvs, ctm etc)
site.

I have also had a chat to Geoff Rehmet (who was originally the driving
force behind our crypto code, and he would like to carry on his FreeBSD
hacking, but not in any leadership position. He is most interested in
working on the crypto code and ctm.

Just to summarise (quite a bit for Geoff's sake) what the state of the
movements are going to be, I will list what we have agreed upon, (or still
need to!). I have lousy skills in summarising, and I forget a lot, so if
there are any screwups, please GENTLY correct!

Proposal:
---------

1) DES library to be replaced by Eric Young's (eay) latest offering and
   imported into secure/lib/des as a vendor branch. The header file, des.h
   to go be installed into /usr/include (orthogonality with MIT Kerberos)

2) (Little discussion here) eay's Secure Sockets Library (SSL) to be
   imported in a similar way to above. (This is how secure telnet, FTP
   etc will work).

3) (More discussion here) eay's other libraries (rc4, rsa etc) to be
   treated as ports if used at all.

4) eBones directory to be re-organised into include/ lib/ usr.bin/ etc.
   structure similar to gnu and secure. Garrett "wanted to do this",
   Geoff thinks it is a good idea (telephone conversation). Other bits
   of Kerberos funtionality to be added (Can't remember the names now).

5) After chatting to Geoff, it is apparent that our current structure
   of libcrypt, libdcrypt and libcipher is not optimal, but will have to
   stay for a while. Only change I would like to see is Poul-Henning's
   suggestion of merging the MD5 into the DES crypt(3) code so a DES'ed
   station could still get passwords from someone running MD5 crypt.

6) Bugs to be fixed (NIS/eBones incompatibility).

7) (eventually) secure RPC to be finished.

Comments?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200