Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2023 01:11:22 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ARM List <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to Boot FreeBSD Using pftf/RPi4 UEFI

On Sep 20, 2023, at 22:45, ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,

Hello.

> How to Boot FreeBSD Using pftf/RPi4 UEFI?
>=20
> I downloaded FreeBSD-14.0-BETA2-arm64-aarch64-disc1.iso and Raspberry =
Pi 4 UEFI Firmware v1.35 and wrote them to my device. However, when I =
enable ACPI, my Raspberry Pi 4 automatically restarts after loading. If =
I disable ACPI and use the device tree, the screen goes black after =
there is no output on the serial port. Does anyone know how to configure =
the serial port for UEFI Firmware? I've used the serial port before with =
the regular installation method and it worked for output, but with UEFI =
Firmware, there is no output on the serial port.

As I remember, pftf/RPi4 defaults to graphical, not serial.
There is a place in the EDK2 UI to switch it to graphical.
This status can be saved, which actually updates a data area
inside its RPI_EFI.fd file so that future boots automatically
are serial based for the adjusted RPI_EFI.fd .

I've not tried pftf/RPi4 in some time. It was v1.34
back then.

I've never tried running the installer ( *-disc1.iso ).
I've used older variants of what is now (MBR):

=
http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/15.0/FreeBSD-15.0=
-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20230921-febba4622b60-265435.img.xz

or (GPT, again: older variant last I tried):

=
http://ftp3.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/15.0/FreeBSD-15.0=
-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-ROCK64-20230921-febba4622b60-265435.img.xz

and substituted or added the pftf/RPi4 materials inside the
msdosfs involved for the USB3 media that I used, leaving
the FreeBSD UEFI loader materials in place.

Use of the ROCK64 image means there is no RPi* firmware,
armstub8* , or boot.bin materials to replace: I just added
the pftf/RPi4 materials. (So: Simpler.)

May be I could experiment with more modern materials this
weekend.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com