Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:28:25 -0700
From:      Denis Serenyi <dserenyi@panasas.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   C++ code in the FreeBSD kernel

Has anyone out there tried to get C++ code running in the freebsd kernel
(like as a .ko)? I have a piece of code that I got working in userland,
and would like to port it in the kernel (I had anecdotal evidence that
it worked). The major problem is that the library, when in kernel, uses
a whole bunch of kernel specific routines (not surprisingly), some of
which are inline C functions. I believe it will be necessary to define
_KERNEL in order to get all this to work correctly, but having that flag
enabled causes code to be compiled which is not C++ friendly (functions
with variable names "new", implicit type casts from void*... things that
are ok in C but not in C++).

I am also investigating the possibility of tweaking compiler options in
such a way to allow these sorts of errors / warnings to be ignored.

If anyone has any experience and advice for this situation, I would love
to hear it!

Thanks!

Denis Serenyi

Please cc me as I am not on this mailing list. I didn't find anything in
the archives on this topic, but I apologize if it has been beaten to
death.