Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 08:40:46 -0700
From:      Stephen Byan <Stephen.Byan@quantum.com>
To:        "'Ian Cartwright'" <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>, "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SCSI Speeds?

Just guessing, but I suspect it's because the IDE drives are caching writes,
while the SCSI drives are not. Try enabling write-caching on the SCSI
drives.

Unfortunately, this will expose a data integrity risk in the event of a
power failure (you are already exposed to this risk on your IDE drives).
fsck may not be able to unscramble the file system, since some of the
synchronous writes of UFS meta-data may not have made it to the disk media
before the power fail. I don't recommend enabling write-caching for drives
holding UFS file systems unless you have an uninterruptible power supply on
the system and the drives.

Perhaps the I/O subsystem will someday be educated to selectively disable
write-caching on UFS metadata writes, but until then, beware of enabling
write-caching.

Regards,
-Steve Byan <smb@world.std.com>
- not speaking for Quantum Corp.